Brig Gen. Fabiano ZINZONE
Brigadier General Fabiano ZINZONE was born in Udine, Italy, in 1965, where he lived until the age of 20. He then
joined the Italian Army Military Academy in Modena, and in 1987 was commissioned in the Combat Engineers. In 1989, he completed the courses at the Advanced School of Military Studies in Turin and at the Engi neer School in Rome. In 1990, as 1st Lt, he was then posted to an Engineer Battalion in Udine, under the 5th Italian Army Corps. His regimental duties include three years (1990-1993) as Combat Engineer Platoon Commander and Coy
Commander at the 8th Combat Engineer Regiment. On promotion to Captain, he was then posted to the 3rd Engineer Combat Regiment for another three-year tour as Coy Commander (1994-1997). He then commanded the Cbt Engr Battalion of 10th Regiment in Cremona (Feb 2005-Mar 2006), where he deployed in a six-month tour in An Nassiriyah, Iraq (Op Iraqi Freedom). BG Zinzone attended the Army Staff College in Italy in 1997-98 and the Advanced Command and Staff Course at the Joint Services Command and Staff College in the UK in 1999-2000. In 2012 he attended the Strategic Symposium Course at the National Defence University of the People’s Republic of China.
His staff tours include:
– 1997: Captain, SO3 Engr Ops, Engr Command, 5th Army Corps, Udine;
– 1999: Captain, SO2 Ops Officer, Ops Branch, 1st Italian Defence Forces Command (Vittorio Veneto, Treviso);
– 2000–2002: Major, SO2 G3 Training, 3rd (UK) Division, British Army (Bulford Camp, Salisbury, UK);
– 2002–2004: Major/Lt Col, SO1 Plans, J5 Plans Division, Italian Joint Operations Headquarters, Rome;
– 2004–2005: Lt Col, SO1 Analysis and Evaluation, Lessons Learned Division, ITA JOHQ, Rome;
– 2006–2007: Lt Col, Military Assistant to Commander, NATO Rapid Deployable Corps (ITA), Solbiate Olona, Varese;
– 2007–2009: Lt Col/Colonel, Military Assistant to Commander, Italian Joint Operations Headquarters, Rome.
– 2009-2011: Colonel, Executive Assistant and Chief of Cabinet of the Chief of The Italian Army, Rome
– 2011-2013: Colonel, Commander, Multinational CIMIC Group, Motta di Livenza Italy.
– 2014-2017: Brigadier General, Defence Attachè to the People’s Republic of China, Beijing;
– 2017-2018: Brigadier General, DCOS Central Staff, NATO Rapid Deployable Corps (ITA), Solbiate Olona , Varese
– 2018-2020: Brigadier General, DCOS PLANS, NATO Rapid Deployable Corps (ITA), Solbiate Olona , Varese
His overseas operational tours include:
– CJ3 Engineer JOC Officer, HQ SFOR, Sarajevo (Sep 98–Jun 99);
– CJ3 SO2 LNO Cell HQ ISAF I, Kabul, (Jan–Apr 2002);
– Advanced Planning Team Leader, CJ5A, CJTF-180, Bagram (OperationEnduring Freedom, Oct-Nov 2002);
– Advanced Planning Team Leader, Permanent Joint Headquarters (UK) Northwood (Operation Iraqi Freedom, Apr-May 2003);
– Cbt Engr Battalion CO and Chief, Military Training Transition Team/Military Advisor Comdr 3rd Iraqi Army Brigade, An Nassiriyah, Iraq (OIF, Sep 05–Feb 06)
– Military Assistant to COMISAF, ISAF VIII, Kabul, Afghanistan (Mar–May 06).
His military awards include, amongst others,: the NATO Medals for Bosnia Herzegovina, Kosovo and ISAF; the Operational Service Medal (UK) for Operation Veritas (Afghanistan); National Medal for Peace Support Operations, National Medal for Iraq and for Afghanistan, Golden Cross for Long and Distinguished Service, Mauriitian Gold Medal for Long and Distinguished Service, National Medal for Public Order operations (2 tours), Bronze Medal for Security and Emergency relief operations from the Italian Civil Protection (2 tours). For the operations in Iraq, he was awarded the Bronze Cross of Merit of the Italian Army.
In November 2012, he received the Legion Of Merit, Rank of Officer, by the President of the United States of America. He is also an Officer of the Italian Republic Meritorious Order, and rewarded with the 1st August Medal with Gold Stripes by the Ministry of National Defence, People’s Republic of China. Brigadier General Zinzone holds a Master Degree, a Master 2nd level in Military Sciences from the University of Turin and a Master of Arts in Defence Studies from the University of London. He is a Fellow of the National Defence University of the People’s Liberation Army, Beijing.
He speaks English, Spanish and Mandarin.